Immigration Office under the Department of Immigration at Tribhuvan International Airport has been facilitating tourists flying to Nepal by providing Visa on Arrival. ‘On Arrival’ visa process is very fast and simple. But during peak Tourist season you might find some queues and best way to skip those queues is by getting Visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed abroad prior to your arrival.
Upon obtaining a visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions or Nepal Embassy, you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa issued date. Your total stay is counted starting from the day of your entry into Nepal.
Nationals of designated countries are requested to acquire Visa prior to their arrival from their nearby Embassies/Consulates of Nepal Government.
Other Entry points to Nepal
- Eastern Nepal – Mechinagar Municipality -6, Kakarvitta, Jhapa
- Central Nepal – Birjung, Parsa / Pokhara Metropolitan city, Pokhara
- Northern Border – Kodari, Sindhupalchowk/ Gosainkunda RM 2, Ghattekhola
- Western – Rupandehi (Belhiya, Bairahawa)
- Mid-western – Jamuna, Nepalgunj
- Far western – Mohana, Dhangadhi / Mahendranagar, Kanchanpur
Nepal Visa Requirements
- A valid passport with validity of at least six months)
- Two passport size photos with light background
- Visa fees can be obtained through cash payment in the following currency. Euro, Swiss, Franc, Pound Sterling, US Dollar, Australian Dollar, Canadian Dollar, Hong Kong Dollar, Singapore Dollar and Japanese Yen. We advise you to carry some cash during arrival to be on the safe side.
Please follow these procedures below for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA) if you have not acquired Visa prior to boarding the plane.
- Fill in ‘Arrival Card’
- Fill in Online ‘Tourist Visa’ form using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport.
Note: You can fill it up prior to your arrival by visiting our official website Department of Immigration. If you fill it from the website, you will get submission Receipt with barcode, please print it out and bring it along for acquiring a visa. This receipt is valid for fifteen days only. If more than 15 days, you will have to fill it up again.
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement (15/30/90 Days)
- Get the receipt
Note: You can use different modes of payments at visa fees collection counter, we advise you to carry some cash to be on the safe side.
- Proceed to the Immigration Desk with all your documents including online form, payment receipts, photos and your passport
- Hand in your documents to the immigration officer for visa processing. The immigration personal will issues visa to you upon his/her satisfaction.
Tourist Visa Fee Details
|Tourist Visa Details||Visa Fee|
|15 Days (Multiple Entry)||US$30|
|30 Days (Multiple Entry)||US$50|
|90 Days (Multiple Entry)||US$125|
|Visa Extension (Within Valid Visa Period)||USD 3 per day|
|Visa Extension (with Multiple Entry)||Additional US$ 25|
|Visa Extension (After Visa Expiration)||Late fee US$5 per day|
Note: The visa can be extended maximum up to 150 days in a visa year (Visa year refers to the year starting January to December)
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
‘Gratis Visa’ issued at the Airport is a Tourist Visa. Gratis Visa also is known as Free Visa is issued free of cost in case of following categories of Visa applicants:
- Children below 10 years eligible for Gratis Visa except for US citizens
- For Up to 30 days Gratis Visa is issued for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year.
- Afghan citizen is eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of the Department of Immigration. We highly recommend Afghan citizen to request concerned body inviting you to Nepal to provide the necessary paperwork to the Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa 'On Arrival'.
- Chinese Nationals
- Officials from Thailand, China, Russia and Brazil do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement
Other General Information
- Entering or staying in Nepal without a valid visa is illegal.
- Visa once issued cannot be amended
- The visa fees are non-refundable.
- Nepal Visa for children under 10 years of age is free; however, they must obtain a valid visa.
- We advise you to always carry your passport and trekking permit while on trekking.
- Some of the areas are restricted for entering, filming and taking photographs. We advise you to be careful not to do these activities that are strictly prohibited.
- We expect you to respect culture, tradition and sentiments of Nepalese people. Please do not perform any activities that would hurt their sentiments.